Chris Matysczyk on Apple’s issues with China, specifically caving into the HKmap.live fiasco:
- China had put pressure on Apple and, as has been Apple’s habit for some time, the company capitulated.
- The finger-pointing is accurate. Apple long ago decided it was going to bow down to China so that it could convert as many of its population to the Apple cause.
- Apple has long coveted the idea of Chinese millions buying iPhones and iPads, while those very same products are built in the country.
- Apple is succumbing to the most fundamental expression of American rights — the right to want as much money as we can get our hands on?
- We profess great things about ourselves yet, most days, we contravene our own standards because it’s suddenly the expedient thing to do.